Engineering Tech Lead
At Your Call we’re committed to our purpose; To empower ethical action in the pursuit of creating positive workspaces, supporting employers & vulnerable individuals by giving a voice to all.
To achieve this, we are looking for remarkable people, who act ethically and with integrity. People who care passionately about creating positive workplaces, building innovative and sustainable solutions, and delivering quality services that make a significant positive impact over the long-term. We believe work should be fun, inspiring and in harmony with the rest of your life.
We are led by our our values.
Often our customers are using our products while in a stressed or traumatised state, therefore it is imperative we understand their short and long terms needs and offer solutions that deliver value, security, provide insights, and then get out of their way.
If you are looking to build a business, work with and grow a team of achievement-focused, progressive, inclusive, and ethical people, who make a material difference to hundreds of workplaces, then this may be the role for you.
Rely is an intelligent platform that helps organisations prevent, detect and respond to conduct and culture issues and build a better culture. The team building this product is incubated within the existing, larger company, but functioning largely as a start-up. This role is to guide the engineering team and help define our technical direction.
We’re seeking a rounded person who possesses deep experience across infrastructure, backend and frontend development.
This will be a challenging role, you’ll be stepping in to a team of mostly senior engineers who are already performing at a high level in a fast paced environment. You’ll be a guiding influence who can see around corners, using your experience to unblock problems and offer a pragmatic perspective that considers the business’ goals.
Ideally, you’ll have had some experience guiding a team of engineers. This role will initially be 50% hands on technical leadership and 50% on the tools. This means you’ll not only be writing some code, creating design documents and architectural specs, but you’ll also be thinking deeply about the product, our customers and the team working on the software.
This role will require exceptional written and verbal communication in the pursuit of contributing to business strategy and communicating with key c-level stakeholders.
What you’ll be doing:
- Be responsible for the entire technology stack from infrastructure to frontend. This means you’ll define the technical strategy considering both the short and the long-term implications.
- Testing, measurement, and evidence-based decision making will be central to your core beliefs. You’ll be able to identify and implement engineering metrics to drive improvements and understand the impact of changes.
- Be accountable for delivery of initiatives, setting goals, providing visibility of progress, and identifying opportunities and roadblocks.
- You are adept at communicating complex technical matters in a clear, understandable way to non-technical people.
- Be comfortable mentoring engineers across the spectrum from junior to senior. Their growth and performance, as well as the engineering team culture, will drive and excite you.
- You’ll be passionate about the product and user experience, understanding that the technology is in service of the value we’re creating for our customers.
What you’ll bring to the role:
- 5+ years experience in a variety of senior or leadership positions
- You’ll have a strong working experience with Node, Typescript, GraphQL and React. Additionally, you are comfortable deploying cloud based solutions to AWS with a working knowledge of broad infrastructure functions – CI/CD pipelines, automation, site reliability, security, etc.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; with the ability to work with a diverse range of folks from different backgrounds and with different professional and personal needs.
- Demonstrated experience practicing and advocating for Engineering best practices such as Clean Code, TDD, Refactoring, Pairing / Mobbing and Code Reviews.
- Familiarity with logging and monitoring tools (e.g. AWS tools, New Relic, Segment and Sentry).
- Adept at making pragmatic decisions based on business requirements, risk assessments and imperfect information.
- Be capable of leading by example – promoting Clarity’s values and engineering standards.
Nice to haves, but not required:
- Experience managing engineers. This role does not explicitly require that you manage the team, but it is an important and valued skill.
- Good understanding of configuring build automation tools.
- Familiarity with Github actions and serverless infrastructure.
- Co-curricular mentoring and industry involvement.
- SaaS experience operating in a start-up or scale-up.
More than a job
We don’t want your move to Your Call to simply be another step on the ladder. We want the move to be additive to your whole life.
Work should be meaningful and enjoyable, but it shouldn’t be everything. We support our team members by understanding everyone has unique requirements. We are committed to the mental health and wellbeing of our people. To facilitate this we provide free of charge access to third parties for a range of confidential mental, health, family, career and financial services.
We also provide:
- A well-being budget valued at $500.
- Public holiday substitutions to ensure you’re celebrating the holidays you believe in, not purely the ones on the calendar.
- An annual continued learning budget, with 2 hours a week reserved for something new.
- Cover the costs of relevant certifications.
- Employee Assistance Program.
- Gender neutral paid parental leave.
Leading by Example
Actions speak louder than words which is why we:
- Became the first Whistleblowing service firm globally to become a Certified B Corporation. We’ve been awarded as a B-Corp World Honouree in the categories of ‘Best for Overall’ and ‘Best for Customers’ in multiple years.
- Pursue other important social initiatives such as our involvement as an official charity partner of the Alannah and Madeline Foundation. Using a portion of each client contract, Your Call funds programs for children to learn what proper ethical and positive behaviour is and how to act in groups. The programs aim to prepare tomorrow’s leaders to have the courage to speak up and be ethical champions.
Your Call is seeing high growth in a rapidly changing regulatory environment. More and more businesses are realising the risks they face and the importance to comply with new regulations. As such, they are turning to Your Call to offer them the tools and training they need.
To fulfil our goals and remain a global leader, we need a diverse and passionate team. We value and respect people’s differences and realise that diversity makes us stronger and better able to serve our customers.